Stop the Tile Turning to Blood?

We have this really long “room” that runs the length of the house, because it’s really the back patio, and they built a room around it. The floor is the cheapest, vomit-colored lineoleum tile (the kind you see in old elementary schools) that’s been held down with a red concrete sealant. The dog peed out there a lot when we moved in, and soon the ammonia interacted with the sealant, and up came bubbling red liquid that would float the tiles loose. I invented a dog toilet (more about that later), so that problem is solved, but we still have horrific tile out there that is partly missing now. So, I decided to use Behr floor paint on the undamaged half of the room, and call that the laundry. And then put down porcelein tile in the damaged half and call it the sun room. The tile removal was like trying to clean an elephant with a toothbrush, but here’s the process.

Sunroom Early
The shoji screen is hiding the water heater (a 1980 Montgomery Ward model) and the washer and dryer. The wood stain is the same hideous stuff over plywood paneling that made the kitchen so ugly.
Sunroom Before
Getting all that red stuff up, and black vapor barrier embedded in it, plus glue was no fun at all. It went easier w. the help of a man-length, bruiser tile scraper with a kick bar on it.
Sunroom BeforeI painted the paneling white, which gave it a simulated bead-board look that was perfect.

 

Sunroom After
There were imperfections in the patio (burs), but I worked through those. The tile was an awful job – I hate it. Especially cutting tile with a manual cutter. Water saw is the only way to go. Anyway, now it’s a patio room. I used builders grade porcelein tile, made a white shelf for the brick window sill, and placed two donated wicker chairs. I even tiled a table I picked up from Goodwill that had the glass top missing.
Experiment worked!

Leave a Reply